- Johannesburg, 24 July 2018: Yesterday, the Johannesburg Stock Exchange (JSE) unveiled the iMadiba micro-museum at its Sandton premises. The iMadiba initiative is a global project sponsored by Satrix, with the objective of celebrating Nelson Mandela's legacy.
- The iMadiba installation at the JSE is one of a number of such installations around the world and the third one to be commissioned in South Africa. The two other South African installations are housed at the Iziko National Gallery in Cape Town and at the Nelson Mandela Museum in Qunu. Each micro museum is an exact replica of the late statesman's Robben Island cell, with each installation modelled on the actual dimensions of the cell where he spent most of his 27 years incarcerated.
- The iMandela Project was conceptualised and created by Stellenbosch-based photographer and artist, Erhardt Thiel and has been developed in partnership with and in support of the Nelson Mandela Foundation. The aim of the project is to assist the foundation in its objectives of honouring Madiba's legacy and sparking conversations in safe spaces.
- "In a year in which we in which we celebrate the 100th year of the birth of our late beloved President Nelson Mandela; Madiba's legacy of inclusivity, grace, humility, service and of speaking truth to power remains an inspiring light in our turbulent times. These values are perhaps more appropriate now, than ever before. I believe that it is time for those of us who have the power to influence the direction of entities in which we are involved, to recognise our social license to open up and lead conversations in a manner that positively impacts those with whom we interact - especially the economically disenfranchised. In this spirit, we are privileged to have such an indigenous sculpture at the JSE and look forward to how these conversations will develop, not only at the JSE but also around the country and globally", says Nicky Newton-King, Chief Executive Officer of JSE Limited.
ABOUT THE JSE
The Johannesburg Stock Exchange is based in South Africa where it has operated as a market place for the trading of financial products for 130 years. It connects buyers and sellers in equity, derivative and debt markets. The JSE is one of the top 20 exchanges in the world in terms of market capitalisation and is a member of the World Federation of Exchanges (WFE) and holds the chairmanship of the Association of Futures Markets (AFM). The JSE offers a fully electronic, efficient, secure market with world class regulation, trading and clearing systems, settlement assurance and risk management. www.jse.co.za
- JSE contact:
- Bridget Mawelewele
- Communications Officer
- Tel: +27 011 520 7280
- Email: firstname.lastname@example.org
- Burson-Marsteller contact:
- Nkateko Khosa
- Tel: +27 011 480 8561
- Email: email@example.com