Click Here visit the new JSE website >>

Find a broker
Contact a JSE-registered stockbroker to advise you on how to grow your wealth.

Tax consideratons and implications

Remember, the JSE is not a tax expert. You should consult SARS or an accountant.​

Capital gains tax and tax on dividends

The first tax you will pay as an investor is value-added tax (VAT) on brokerage and Strate fees when buying or selling. You also pay secondary tax on companies (STC) of 0.25% when buying shares. Then there is also dividend withholding tax of 15% of all dividends paid by local companies. These taxes are the same for all private investors and traders.

Tax on shares

Thereafter, you will be taxed on the profits you make when buying and selling shares.​​

Want to invest tax free?
Contact a JSE-registered stockbroker and start investing tax free today!​

 Keep me updated

JSE Learning Modules
Learn about the world of investing with these easy-to-follow videos
JSE Investment Challenge
Learn about the world of investing with the JSE Investment Simulator