Course is designed to provide Commercial Lawyers, especially those new to commercial/corporate law, with the necessary tools to understand key financial corporate financial concepts which will be valuable in giving context to their legal work.
Overview of Financial Statements
- The Income Statement
- The Balance Sheet
- Cash Flow Statement
- Basic Ratio Analysis
Introduction to Company Valuation
- What is the value of a company?
- Market Valuation: p/e, market capitalisation, NAV
- Enterprise Value vs Equity Value
- Valuation using Discounted Cash flow method
- Weighted Average Cost of Capital
Overview of the Merger & Acquisitions
Types of Mergers
Do most M&A transactions fail to deliver Shareholder Value?
- Case Studies of failed acquisitions (Daimler/Chrysler, AOL/Time Warner)
- An examination of critical success factors for acquisitions
Over Process: Process for acquiring a listed company
- The M&A Team
- Role of Lawyers in an M&A transaction
- Competition Commission
Buy Out (LBO)
- What is an LBO
- Typical capital structure of an LBO
- Debt vs Equity financing
- Use of IRRs in decision making
Private Equity/Hedge Funds
alternatives for an M&A/LBO transaction
- Syndicated Loans
- Rights Issues
Initial Public Offering (IPO) Principles
- What is a hostile take-over?
- What makes a company vulnerable to a hostile take-over?
- Evolution of hostile take overs from the 80’s to current times
- Take Over Defences and strategies that can be employed by companies against a hostile take over
- Shareholder considerations in respect of defence measures to be employed
CPD points and training certificates will be issued for the attendance at the training.
Please contact JSETraining@jse.co.za to book. Please note that space is limited so please book as soon as possible in order to avoid disappointment.
If you would prefer a tailored training session to take place at your company premises please do not hesitate to let us know and we can tailor a training package to suit your requirements.
By using a service provider to offer the courses, the JSE does not directly or indirectly endorse any product or service provided, or to be provided by the service provider.