This Currency Contract is based on the euro/dollar exchange, the world’s most actively traded currency pair. Quanto Futures and Options are cash settled Derivatives Contracts traded on the JSE. They are settled in rands without being exposed to the risks associated with a fluctuating rand.
Who is this for?
Investors hoping to make a profit on the movements of the euro/dollar exchange rate should find this product appealing. Quanto Futures mirror the underlying movement on a one-for-one basis. If the price of the euro/dollar increases by 20% in dollar terms, the value of the investor’s rand position in euro/dollar will also increase by 20%.
- Enable exposure to the world’s most popular currency derivative pair.
- Give easy access to the international market with a contract traded in rands.
- Since the Futures are settled in rands, your foreign allocation allowance is not used.
- Investors are not exposed to the risks associated with a fluctuating rand exchange rate.
- Given the fairly risky nature of Derivatives, investing in this product is not for everyone. It is better suited to more experienced investors.
How to get Quanto Currency Futures and Options
Register as a client with an authorised JSE Currency Derivatives member, deposit the required initial margin and sell or buy according to your needs.
The following categories of clients are permitted to trade and hold positions in Currency Derivatives:
- A South African individual, with no limits applicable.
- A South African corporate entity, with no limits applicable.
- A non-resident individual or non-resident corporate entity, with no limits applicable.
- A resident financial service provider and collective investment scheme, subject to their foreign portfolio allowance.
- A resident pension fund organisation, subject to their foreign portfolio allowance.
- A resident long-term or short-term insurer, subject to their foreign portfolio allowance.