The Johannesburg Stock Exchange (JSE) has a well-established history operating as a market place for trading financial products for more than 130 years. We are a pioneering, globally connected exchange group that enables inclusive economic growth through trusted, world class, socially responsible products and services for the investor of the future. We offer access to secure and efficient primary and secondary capital markets across a diverse range of securities spanning equities, derivatives and debt markets. The JSE prides itself on being the destination of choice for local and international investors who are looking to gain exposure to leading African capital markets. We are ranked in the Top 20 largest stock exchanges globally by market capitalisation and we are the largest stock exchange in Africa. As a leading global exchange, we co-create, unlock value and make real connections happen.
The JSE’s Colocation facility provides the lowest-latency connection to JSE markets, allowing clients to host their infrastructure in the same vicinity as the infrastructure that drives the markets at the JSE. This enables low latency trading strategies through high speed trading and market data access.
The Colocation facility is a data centre facility housed at the JSE where clients can lease a rack for their server and other computing hardware in a secure environment right next to the JSE’s trading engine. The JSE’s enhanced facility provides the structure, cooling, power, bandwidth and physical security, while clients provide servers and storage within the facility.
The centre alleviates the administration burden of managing an on-site data centre, whilst allowing clients full access over their own server in the JSE data centre.
- Latency advantage
- Fastest trading and market data access to JSE markets
- Average round-trip Colocation network latency is sub 100 microseconds
- Speeds currently display as little as 20 microseconds
- Reduced bandwidth requirements for connectivity to the JSE
2. New trading strategies
- Enabler of low latency trading strategies
- Enhanced response to market movements
3. Cost saving
Reduced bandwidth requirements between Colocation customers and JSE
Reduced dependence on telecommunication providers
Remote hands availability (remote access)
World class technical engineers
Network and physical infrastructure security
Power options include 3KW and 5KW capacity feeds
2 Power feeds deployed within IDC
DR facilities hosted Off -Site in secure location
During the expansion Phase 1 to 4, there were 35,new racks incorporated into the IDC
An additional 38 Racks installed/ made available, thereby depicting a total of 73 Racks
5. Risk Mitigation
- Sophisticated JSE Data centre designed to Tier 3
- Biometric access standards
- Security camera's enabled
- World class technical engineers
- Tenant cabinet rack authorization
- Redundant power supply
- Customized approach to cabling: equal length
- Tier 3 IDC facility deployment
- Escorted access to the IDC
- All cables between the hosting units and the Colocation network switches are of equal length irrespective of the hosting unit position within the Colocation facility.
- 10 gigabits per second fibre trading connectivity from the Colocation facility to the meet-me-room is facilitated as required via Cross Connects
- Time synchronisation will be offered via Precision Time Protocol (PTP)
- Currently hosting 16 National Service Providers (NSP) who terminate services directly in the JSE meet-me-room
- Multi-mode fibre deployed for top of the rack infrastructure connectivity
Scalability, security and stability:
- Sub-letting is allowed
- Capability to build a further 35 racks with 10 of the 35 to be built in 2018.
- 24/7 year round Colocation facility environment monitoring.
- Biometric scanners, closed circuit cameras, on-site security, coded access, alarm systems, and more are installed for our client’s protection.
- Multiple backup generators and contingencies in place to ensure that there is never an interruption in service.
- 100% uptime of the facility