Job type classification
- Provide specialist statutory knowledge on Company Secretarial matters, in particular the Companies Act, JSE Listing Requirements, King IV and other international governance best practices to ensure that all JSE Group governance decisions are based on correct information and adhere to required standards of governance.
- Maintain up to date records of applicable registers and lodge these documents within the required timeline in order to prevent penalty fines for non-compliance.
- Prepare and lodge documents with CIPC (Companies and Intellectual Property Commission), FSB (Financial Services Board) , Master of the High Court and the JSE listing issuer regulation division through the sponsor to comply with statutory requirements
- Apply cost effectiveness principles in everyday delivery to contribute to achievement of departmental financial targets.
- Contribute to crafting of department business plan to ensure delivery of focus areas for the year in support of divisional strategy.
Stakeholder Relationship Management
- Build strategic JSE/ Industry/ Global network of thought leaders and relationships by atttending industry specific conferences, and Continual Professional Development (CPD) workshops; network with people in the same industry to obtain an overview of current best practice in terms of compliance and corporate governance
- Liaise continuously with stakeholders to receive feedback on services and information provided in order to consistently plan and review progress and to meet required standards
- Act as central point of contact for all governance enquiries, information and guidance for all companies within JSE Group.
- Provide and implement the required governance services by implementing existing policies, processes and procedures as well as standards and processes as and when required.
- Provide company secretary documentation services as required, in order to ensure that the meeting objectives are met, including -
- Co-ordinate and administer meetings through calendar invites, parking arrangement and overall meeting preparations to ensure an unhindered, structured and organised meeting according to JSE requirements and standards.
- Consult with various role-players prior to company committee meetings in order to prepare the necessary documentation for the Board / Board Committee meeting.
- Prepare agendas and Board / Board Committee packs for selected JSE Group Companies, and ensure these are delivered timeously to meeting participants within the agreed timeframes.
- Prepare and table resolutions at meetings and record and prepare minutes of the meetings to maintain an accurate historic record in the minute book.
- Prepare a schedule of matters arising from the meeting and circulate together with the minutes to the relevant stakeholders for comments and review.
- Process, manage and safe guard of Company governance records.
- Prepare AGM meetings, AGM notice / resolutions, letters of representation as well as proxies and dividend instructions, as and when required.
- Advise Company Secretary of appropriate actions to be taken at meetings to ensure that the Company does not fall foul of its own governance framework and processes.
- Prepare all required documentation to induct new directors of the above mentioned companies.
- Respond to the external audit requests by providing evidence of statutory compliance as and when required.
- Conduct corporate governance research in line with King IV and other international best practices in order to keep up to date with governance and compliance related regulations.
- Respond to the Financial Intelligence Centre Act (FICA) document requirements and public information requests within the allocated timeframe with no material queries / fines / penalties in order to adhere to statutory requirements and meet expectations of stakeholders.
- Advise and assist with compliance matters related mainly to the Companies Act, MOI, DOA, Listings Requirements, King IV, FSB, but not specifically limited to these only.
- Advise on any matters or breaches of compliance together with appropriate practical solutions.
- Manage own delivery against annual delivery plan and set timelines, identify obstacles to delivery and take appropriate action where required.
- Attend ongoing status meetings with supervisor to ensure that outputs meet business and compliance expectations.
- Provide thought leadership across all aspects of Enterprise Governance.
- CSSA (Chartered Secretaries of South Africa)/ LLB or other legal qualification
- Post Graduate qualification in field of Governance
- Membership of the Institute – either ACIS or FCIS associate or fellow respectively
- 3-5 years of relevant company secretary or corporate secretary or corporate governance experience. Extensive experience in minute taking.