Specialist Securities offer issuers the opportunity list and trade investment-type products on the Main Board, under Section 19 of the JSE Listing Requirements. These products include, Exchange Traded Funds (ETFs), Exchange Traded Notes (ETNs), Actively Managed Certificates (AMCs), warrants, structured products, depository receipts – to name but a few.
Who is this for?
Specialist Securities are used by both professional and private investors wishing to gain exposure to different sectors, local or global asset classes or investment strategies. They are the ideal investment vehicle for those who are new or familiar with the world of investing.
- Provides exposure to a variety of underlying instruments and investment strategies i.e. it offers diversification
- Can be bought and sold quickly on the JSE Equity Market
- Can also offer exposure to foreign market currency performance or foreign market specific risk
- Are well regulated by the JSE and in certain instances by the FSCA as well
- May pay dividends or investors may opt to have dividends reinvested
- Some instruments such as ETFs, are exempt from securities transfer tax (STT).
- Instruments such as Collective Investment Scheme (CIS) ETFs, also have the benefit of being included in Tax Free Savings Accounts (TFSAs)
- Specialist Securities’ prices fluctuate based on market demand and supply
How to get it:
- Open a brokerage account with an authorised JSE Equity member.
- Use a platform offered by a Financial Services Provider (FSP)
- Contact the issuer of the Specialist Security directly.
Considering listing Specialist Securities?
Please speak to our Primary Markets team for more information.
JSE Primary Markets
+27 11 520 7000